Senior Design Engineer
48.3 Scaffold Design Job Specification
Senior Design Engineer
Permanent, Full time (following successful probationary period)
We have position's based at our Design Offices in Gateshead, Birmingham, Exeter, Marlow and Bedford
Start date to suit successful candidate
Agreed starting salary.
- £35,000 - £45,000 basic salary per annum. Our salary offer will be based on your capabilities and the value you bring to the design team. For the right candidate, with a fantastic attitude and an advanced skill-set, the starting salary is open to negotiation and maybe higher than the range stated.
- Regular overtime opportunities at increased rates of pay
- 25 days annual leave and 2 'play days' (time off to enjoy a hobby or interest you love!) plus eight statutory bank holidays (England & Wales) per year.
- Flexible working hours
- Payment of Professional Membership Fees (ICE, or as applicable)
- Full training provision for job related technical skills
- IPD & CPD support and provision for progression to ICE IEng or CEng Status
Brief Job Role
The successful candidate will have the skills to produce and facilitate exceptional design solutions to the highest industry standards, solve complex technical problems, plan and manage project budgets and maintain quality and service delivery standards. They will provide technical leadership within the design team and offer guidance and mentoring to fellow team members, and contribute to the technical direction of the company.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday; 08:00 – 17:30
Up to one-hour lunch break.
Flexible working times as agreed.
48.3 Scaffold Design was formed in May 2010 by Managing Director and Principal Engineer, Ben Beaumont and are experts in providing specialist scaffolding and temporary works design solutions to a range of clients across the UK, Europe and the Middle East. 48.3 has provided recent designs for projects for Network Rail, London Underground, Thameslink, Crossrail, Gatwick Airport re-development, Heathrow Terminal 2B, English Heritage, Thames Water, National Grid and many other commercial and industrial sites.
We have a strong company ethos that has been there from day one, the reason 48.3 was created and the framework for our mission, vision and values. We have a relentless drive for perfection in our work, and increases in our competency. Our aim is to change the scaffolding industry, especially in design, and how everyone else perceives it. We want to increase respect and build trust so that people are proud to work in the scaffolding industry, and people like us can be proud to be ‘Scaffold Design Engineers’.
We have the desire to lead, and we have decided to lead by example. We are improving standards for everyone, to revolutionise our industry, this is shown in how we deal with our clients, how we choose our team, how we train our staff and how we deliver our service. It is shown in every single one of our design drawings and every line of our calculations.
48.3 have a proven track record in training and retaining staff. There is no other training programme like the one developed by 48.3 specifically for scaffolding design and personal development. Our training programme is registered and approved by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). Everyone is critical to success at 48.3 and everyone has a big part to play. You will be an important and highly valued member of the team and we believe that it will be hugely rewarding for everyone.
If you share the same passion as us, you want a career with a clear purpose and feel you have what it takes to join a young, vibrant, forward thinking team then send us your CV, a covering letter and a brief statement (less than 250 words) outlining your suitability for the position.
For more information please visit our website: www.483.co.uk You can also contact us via twitter @483ScaffDesign or find us on Facebook and Linkedin.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
|BEng / MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering. A BEng/MEng/BSc/MSc in a similar construction related engineering discipline will be considered.|
|Motivation and drive to achieve IEng MICE or CEng MICE if not already attained within 12-18 months|
|A minimum of five years relevant design experience in a civil or structural engineering discipline|
|1-3 years of site experience OR temporary works design experience.|
|Good working knowledge and experience using Autodesk AutoCAD software package (Full, LT, Civil)|
|Experience using 3D Frame Analysis software to create and analyse complex structures.|
|Demonstrable team leadership skills|
|Excellent Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel|
|Excellent written and verbal communication skills|
|Excellent time management skills|
|Personal desire, motivation and commitment|
|An open mind and a great sense of humour|
|Knowledge of the main requirements of Construction (Design and Management) (CDM) Regulations 2015|
|An up-to-date CPD record for your career so far demonstrating your commitment to your profession and the development our your skills.|
|The ability to check the structural integrity and stability of a structure using hand calculations from first principles.|
|CEng MICE or IEng MICE Professional Qualification and Membership|
|3D Modelling and BIM working and development capabilities|
|Knowledge of the main requirements of The Work at Height Regulations (WAHR) 2005|
|Knowledge of relevant British and European Standards: BS 8888, BS EN 12811-1, BS 5975|
• The production and completion of complex scaffolding and temporary works design projects in accordance with British and European codes of practice, UK construction and health & safety legislation, and to the complete satisfaction of our clients. This would typically include site surveys and project meetings, design briefs, specification and occasional production of design drawings, design risk assessment, design calculations & structural analysis, checking and quality assurance.
• Define and specify 3D design models, details and walk-throughs for design, planning, presentation and training purposes. Management of BIM Data sets and processing for client information specifications.
• Checking and review of other design schemes (internal & external) within own competency limits.
• Management of project delivery deadlines and design budgets.
• Accurate assessment of client design requirements to produce design quotations and contribute to the production of tender packages.
• Work alongside existing design engineers and technicians to create and deliver fantastic design solutions for our clients.
• Assess and design-out hazards were possible within the design process and propose effective control measures for the reduction and elimination of risk.
• Conduct site surveys, collect and assess site information, liaise with clients and fellow construction professionals and represent the company at design and site meetings.
• Understand the practicalities of the erection, use and dismantle of scaffolding, as well as its main functions in key industry sectors and apply this knowledge to improve our service provision, processes and standards.
• To adhere at all times to company policies and procedures, in particular Design and HSEQ policies.
• To adhere to, maintain, and suggest collective improvements for company systems and processes.
• Communicate amazingly well with everyone.
• Commit to and deliver on, personal and professional development goals.
• Uphold the name and reputation of 48.3 Scaffold Design at all times and conduct one's self in a professional and dignified manner in keeping with the ethos of the company.
Send your CV, a covering letter and a brief statement (<250 words) outlining your suitability for the position to:
Open position for continual consideration. Please send your application to us right away!