Graduate Design Engineer
48.3 Scaffold Design Job Specification
Graduate Design Engineer
Permanent, Full time (following successful probationary period)
We have a position based at our Design Office's in Glasgow, Gateshead, Leeds, Redhill and Marlow.
Start date to suit successful candidate
£22,000.00 salary per annum
- £22,000.00 - £27,500.00 basic salary per annum.
- Regular overtime opportunities at increased rates of pay
- 25 days annual leave and 2 'play days' (time off to enjoy a hobby or interest you love!) plus eight statutory bank holidays (England & Wales) per year.
- Flexible working hours
- Payment of Professional Membership Fees (ICE, or as applicable)
- Full training provision for job related technical skills
- IPD & CPD support and provision for progression to ICE IEng or CEng Status
Brief Job Role
To work within the existing design team providing scaffolding and temporary works design schemes for a range of commercial and industrial projects throughout the UK whilst adhering to the latest codes of practice, UK regulations and company policies.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday; 08:00 – 17:30
Up to one-hour lunch break
48.3 Scaffold Design was formed in May 2010 by Managing Director and Principal Engineer, Ben Beaumont and are experts in providing specialist scaffolding and temporary works design solutions to a range of clients across the UK, Europe and the Middle East. 48.3 has provided recent designs for projects for Network Rail, London Underground, Thameslink, Crossrail, Gatwick Airport re-development, Heathrow Terminal 2B, English Heritage, Thames Water, National Grid and many other commercial and industrial sites.
We have a strong company ethos that has been there from day one, the reason 48.3 was created and the framework for our mission, vision and values. We have a relentless drive for perfection in our work, and increases in our competency. Our aim is to change the scaffolding industry, especially in design, and how everyone else perceives it. We want to increase respect and build trust so that people are proud to work in the scaffolding industry, and people like us can be proud to be ‘Scaffold Design Engineers’.
We have the desire to lead, and we have decided to lead by example. We are improving standards for everyone, to revolutionise our industry, this is shown in how we deal with our clients, how we choose our team, how we train our staff and how we deliver our service. It is shown in every single one of our design drawings and every line of our calculations.
48.3 have a proven track record in training and retaining staff. There is no other training programme like the one developed by 48.3 specifically for scaffolding design and personal development. Our training programme is registered and approved by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). Everyone is critical to success at 48.3 and everyone has a big part to play. You will be an important and highly valued member of the team and we believe that it will be hugely rewarding for everyone.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
|BEng/BSc (Hons) or MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering|
|Good level of computer literacy including MS Office|
|Good level of knowledge and understanding of technical principles underlying Civil Engineering design and practice|
|Good verbal and written English|
|Strong attention to detail, particularly in engineering principles|
|Analytical approach to problem solving|
|Technical drawing experience with demonstrable abilities in producing construction drawings to the highest standard.|
|Positive, self motivated and proactive team player|
|Good communication skills and ability to express ideas|
|Well organised and hold the ability to prioritise work with an effective problem solving outlook|
|Ability to work to programme deadlines|
|Ability to read and understand construction drawings|
|High level of personal and professional integrity and a strong work ethic|
|Receptive to constructive feedback|
|Open to working on secondment at 48.3 or Richter design offices throughout the UK as the need arises|
|Training in the use of Engineering Design Software|
At 48.3 we are committed to providing the best service our industry can offer but it’s not just down to our knowledge, experience and academic successes that set us apart.
At 48.3 our people all have one thing in common, a set of core attributes. Positivity, self-motivation and attention to detail are just some of the attributes ingrained in our people. We believe without great communication a team can’t function, without a sense of urgency we can’t deliver a great service. We are a group of individuals who know we can depend on each other. We think these are some of the most important traits our people have, the parts of our characters that make 48.3 the success it is.
Successful applicants will be expected to demonstrate some of these core attributes as well as the essential skills listed above at interview stage.
Chosen candidates will, after successfully completing a maximum six-month probationary period (minimum one month depending on performance and appraisal), embark on the 48.3 training program.
Our training is based on key personal development strategies that deliver a rounded and complete skillset for individuals, as well as the mandatory professional development skills to be successful in the role.
The successful candidate will also develop their own 3D modelling and BIM skillset alongside the evolution of the company design strategy, to deliver the range of services offered by the company and contribute to the continual service improvement we offer our clients.
- The completion of 2D scaffolding and temporary works design drawings in accordance with British and European codes of practice and UK construction and health & safety legislation.
- Completion of 3D design models, details and walk-throughs for design, planning, presentation and training purposes. Management of BIM Data sets and processing for client information specifications.
- Production and completion of design calculations and 2D/3D structural analysis.
- Checking and review of other design schemes (internal & external) within own competency limits.
- Work alongside existing design engineers to create and deliver fantastic design solutions for our clients.
- Assess and design-out hazards were possible within the design process and propose effective control measures for the reduction and elimination of risk.
- Conduct site surveys, collect and assess site information, liaise with clients and fellow construction professionals and represent the company at design and site meetings.
- Understand the practicalities of the erection, use and dismantle of scaffolding, as well as its main functions in key industry sectors and apply this knowledge to improve our service provision, processes and standards.
- To adhere at all times to company policies and procedures, in particular Design and HSEQ policies.
- To adhere to, maintain, and suggest collective improvements for company systems and processes.
- Communicate amazingly well with everyone.
- Commit to and deliver on, personal and professional development goals.
- Uphold the name and reputation of 48.3 Scaffold Design at all times and conduct one's self in a professional and dignified manner in keeping with the ethos of the company.
Send your CV, a covering letter and a brief statement (< 250 words) outlining your suitability for the position to:
28th February 2022